Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Mannequin Waltz

I waltzed with an armless mannequin for hours every evening. Gazing into her painted eyes, those eyes that stared straight through me, I could see into the future. In this future, I saw myself waltzing with an armless mannequin. She lovingly stared at me with contempt, knowing the truth about the predicament. As the music swelled and bellowed softly, I began to forget that I was all alone. And so we danced. We danced until my feet bled and her plastic toes began to chip away, revealing the armature beneath. I grasped her pelvis tightly, slipped on the blood that oozed from the gaping blisters on my feet and fell atop my imaginary dance partner, splintering her plastic flesh beneath my weight. As she shattered and I blankly stared at the pile of flesh toned plastic and cold metal, I came to the realization that the "future" I'd envisioned was merely fantasy. Now I was damned to forever be alone.

No comments: